WHAT YOU’LL NEED
- Freshly roasted VIERA COFFEE CO. coffee
- Hario V60
- Hario V60 paper filters
- Gooseneck Kettle (preferred)
- Cup to brew into
- Hot water
- Digital scale (optional)
- Grinder - medium-fine
HOW YOU’LL DO IT
- Bring 1 litre (33.8 ounces) of filtered water to boil in a gooseneck spouted kettle. Place the V60 brewer on a cup. Open the V60 bleached paper filter, folding along the crease and place in the brewer so it stays open.
- Rinse the paper filter with a few ounces of the hot water from your kettle. This step will preheat the brewer and create a seal between the paper filter and the brewer. Pour out the rinse water and place the brewer back on the cup.
- Weigh out 26 grams of freshly roasted, whole bean coffee on a scale. If you don’t have a scale, you can also measure this with a tablespoon. We recommend about 4 level tablespoons. (1 Tablespoon ≈ 6 grams).
- Using a grinder, grind the coffee to a medium-fine consistency.
- Place the V60 and cup on the scale, add the ground coffee to the filter and shake the brewer to level the grounds. Then, using a spoon, create a small divot in the centre of the grounds. This step will allow the brew water to penetrate the entire bed of grounds, making sure all the grounds are evenly saturated and ready to brew.
- After starting your timer, “bloom” the grounds by pouring 50 grams (2oz, or just enough to cover the coffee) of the filtered water just off boil and let it sit for 30 seconds.
- Slowly pour the remaining 350 grams (12 oz) water in circular pattern, staying away from the edges. Aim to finish pouring around 2:00. Then using a spoon, gently stir four times in a clockwise motion to help pull away any grounds stuck to the filter wall and will help speed up the drawdown.
- If poured and stirred correctly, the grounds should appear to have a mild dome shape, and finish draining between 2:30 and 3:00. Note: If it takes less than 2:30 to finish draining, use a finer grind and try pouring slower. If it takes longer than 3:00 to drain, use a coarser grind to allow the water to pass through the coffee more easily.
- Smell the delicious coffee smell floating through the air. Grab some mugs, share and enjoy.